Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Circuit



The Circuit is a fascinating, heart breaking and true account of the life of migrant families, more specifically the children of these migrant families. I will admit that, initially, I was hesitant to read it. I thought it would be like every other propaganda-novel about immigration, trying to persuade you one way or the other. I was surprisingly relieved when I realized this story was not like the others. I was immediately sucked in and read the book in one sitting.

While I knew, prior to reading The Circuit, that is was based in truth, I did not get a "non-fiction" feel from the book. In fact, most of the time I kept hoping that I would get to the end to find out that none of this really happened. Each little episode of loss, and the consequent emotions, had me reaching for the tissues. That being said, I was rooting for Panchito the entire time, despite the fact that I knew what was coming (it's not called The Circuit for nothing!).

I was able to see bits and pieces of myself in the novel as well. I grew up in a military family, and could commiserate with Panchito over the anguish and disappointment of having to leave a place you have just grown to love, only to start all over: new friends, new home, new school. On the other hand, I could also relate to the happiness and excitement felt when you get to return to that place. And, while I wasn't deported from the place I called my home for most of my life - I did have to leave (I'm not a citizen of the country I grew up in), and have yet to return.

I think this book is a must-read for any and everyone. It does not matter where you stand politically. This book will pull you in with its emotional, powerful language and will remind you of the hardships that come with trying to attain the American Dream. And, if nothing else, it will remind you of the cyclical nature of life and leave you feeling hopeful that, next time, maybe things will be better.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you found connections with this story Nikki. Did it remind you at all of "Esperanza Rising?" I loved how in both of these books there is such an emphasis on community and family; people helping each other out. I agree that there was a little bit of a fictitious tone to the book. However, I thought it made it slightly more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nikki, I wanted to see what you thought of this one because of your military kid who moved a lot background. Of course my response was super political, so I'm glad to hear that that's not inherent in the work; its better if kids are allowed to make up their own minds about things.

    I agree with you and Kelly that it didn't feel very non-fictiony. I think we lit people can be kind of biased against non-fic, and especially because it's emphasized in the new standards. It's good to read something like this that reminds us that non-fiction doesn't have to mean boring.
    -Dani

    ReplyDelete