Sunday, December 4, 2011

Persepolis - Marjane Sartrapi



Persepolis isn't just a book that you read, it's a book that you fully experience. You live the words on the page. As someone who knew virtually nothing about the Iranian revolution during the 1980's, I found myself completely invested and ready and willing to learn about this major historical event.

As someone who isn't the biggest fan of history books, I was surprised at how completely invested I was in the story. I suppose that it could have something to do with the fact that it is the memoir of a young girl, or the fact that one of my best friends is an Iranian, living in Tehran.

There are a lot of things to be gained from reading Persepolis. Whether you gain a knew knowledge or understanding about this event, or simply find that you are able to appreciate the themes of love, life and resistance in a time of war, it is not a graphic novel to skip over. The message is powerful, and it definitely leaves you wanting more (good thing there is a second half)!

No comments:

Post a Comment