Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green


The writings of John Green are so mind-blowingly-beautiful that they leave me feeling much like the quote above. My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.

And, did John pat himself on the back and smile that sly-writer's smile that writers get when they realize they've just written gold? If not, we need a time machine. 

Let me first say: I bought the novel this afternoon. I read it in just over two hours. I refused to leave a 6 foot radius. I laid on the carpet like a 15 year old girl. I cried. I sobbed. I cried and laughed at the same time. I was appalled, and then pleased, and then confused (because that is what John Green does to me). 

And before I even get to the review: yes. I recommend this novel

The Fault in Our Stars is primarily comprised of a raggedy bunch of cancer-fighting youth. Blind, missing limbs, and attached to oxygen tanks, they are trying to navigate the world of adolescence while simultaneously engaged in civil wars with their own bodies. John does a great job of touching on the very real aspects of the teenage experience - break ups, family drama, video games, high school; all of these things play a role in the lives of the characters.

The thing I've really come to appreciate about his writing is that it offers some real, something worth consuming, to the world of YA Literature. The characters featured in novels such as The Fault in Our Stars have a level of depth to them that is so, so very human. 

Augustus, Isaac, and Hazel transcend the imaginary character space. They are these people, and these people exist in the world. These situations happen. This is teenage life for someone, somewhere - and thank the universe for John Green because he keeps the bookshelves lined with words that matter. With experiences that are truly relatable. With character-people who provide that other side, the emotional perspective, the raw truth, the fact-of-the-matter.

Augustus is this fantastic blend of Holden Caulfield and Miles Halter (plus a dash of something completely unique to his own self). Hazel is a kind, smart, but still ordinary (self conscious, ANTM watching) teenage girl who compliments him perfectly. 

This novel navigates the tough stuff - death and dying, grief and pain - in a gentle but upfront way. It's a great read that pushes the boundaries and leaves you sobbing on the carpet of your parents living room like a little girl.

The universe won't look the same for a long time.
Or maybe ever again.

*Sidenote: It was really strange, reading this novel and being forced to re-encounter the grieving process. I didn't realize how many loose ends I'd left open in regards to deaths of close friends/family, and this novel wouldn't let me ignore them. It sits heavy with me, but in a very welcome way. Read it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment