Saturday, March 22, 2014

Fifty Shades of Grey - E.L. James

I'm ashamed I'm writing this.
I was convinced by a friend to read Fifty Shades of Grey in Spanish (because she was, our friends were, it's good to keep up with language skills...that kind of stuff).

It was the most tortured 380+ pages I have ever read.
Thank GOD the author herself admits she's not a good writer, because she's not.

There was no character development (in fact, this may be the first time I've experienced character regression). The almost non existent plot moved at a snails pace. The whole "first person experience" is also cringe-inducing:

I see Christian. He is walking towards me in his grey suit and grey tie and he has grey eyes. His last name is Grey. I can feel my heart fluttering.

That's not a direct quote, but it's pretty damn close.
Luckily, reading it in Spanish, I just pretended it was all in the past tense (easier to do in another language).

Unfortunately, the authors lack of vocabulary was not as easy to avoid. I think I will vomit if I ever hear the word "drool" again.

Yeah. DROOL.

And, let's not leave out the whole "naive little girl who thinks she can convince the beast to change for her" over-arching theme of the novel. I am very worried for all the young ladies out there who read this book and think that Christian is the kind of guy to compete for.

He's an abuser. A handsome, somewhat-mysterious abuser with a past.
Condoning (wait, creating and then condoning) abusive relationships through writing? Horrific.

This book was an accident - and it reads like a disaster.
Stay away.


No comments:

Post a Comment